Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Museum of Discovery and Science

Title: Exhibits. Click the word more to go to the relevant page.


 October 2 through January 9, 2011

Photography Exhibit

Wilderness Visions of America

by Clyde Butcher


A nationally recognized conservationist, Clyde Butcher uses his stunning photography to preserve natural environments throughout the nation. This exhibit features immense and startlingly beautiful black-and-white views that capture some of the most well-known national parks in America. The impeccable collection of large silver-gelatin prints, some 7 ft. wide by 5 ft. high, will make visitors feel as if they have traveled across the nation and landed in the middle of these pristine landscapes.


Yosemite National Park, California

This was another early morning shot that was taken before the Merced River became a rushing torrent of melted snow. Because the river was calm I was able to use the reflection as part of the composition. With the clear blue sky I was able to use a red filter, which accentuated the up-thrust of El Capitan into a dark sky, making for a very clean composition.


Big Cypress National Preserve, Florida

For some time I had wanted to take a shot of a full moon over the Everglades. I had been tracking the moon phases of the calendar for months waiting for the proper time…when the angle of the moon and sun align for the best effect. When the day came, I took my camera out into the ‘glades, set it up on top of my ten-foot wooden ladder, in order to get a perspective over the tops of the dwarf cypress trees, and waited. When the clouds cooperated to create a nice composition, I snapped the shutter…it didn’t work! I took the lens off, pried the shutter open, put the lens back on the camera, and used a dark slide as a shutter, guessing at the exposure time.


Badlands National Park, South Dakota

We were only at the Badlands for 24 hours, but WOW, what a wondrous time it was! A violent storm, complete with tornadoes, ripped through the area. I photographed like mad trying to capture the sun hitting the landscape as it popped in and out of the dark storm clouds. By the end of the day the sky was totally black with no sun.

The next morning I woke up at our normal 4:00 am and looked out the window to see that there wasn’t a star or even a glimmer of light on the horizon. Thinking the sun was going to be blocked out by the clouds, I went back to bed. I lay there for a few minutes and changed my mind. As we drove out of the parking lot the sun began to break through a slit in the clouds. In front of me was this wonderful formation with dark storm clouds behind it and the sun starting the process of brilliantly lighting up the mountains in the foreground. Niki and I jumped out of the car and set up the camera as quickly as we could. We managed to capture the scene just before the clouds covered up the sun.

 Contact Information

Museum of Discovery and Science:
954-467-MODS

AutoNation® IMAX® Theater
954-463-IMAX

Weekday Operator
954-467-6637 ext.300

Concierge and Weekend Operator
954-467-6637 ext.130

No comments:

Post a Comment